top of page

It Took 60 Years

I just spoke with Dr. Ron Klatz, the founder and CEO of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. He says we are in apocalyptic times.


I'm writing this blog to provide some meager, but important hope that the power-that-be can be swayed by science - if only partially and painfully slowly.


Please read on.... I realize this is from 2015 but I continue to get many questions and concerns about "cholesterol."


The U.S. government is poised to withdraw longstanding warnings about cholesterol - Washington Post

The article - with information that is still "dead wrong" in red text.


The nation’s top nutrition advisory panel has decided to drop its caution about eating cholesterol-laden food, a move that could undo almost 40 years of government warnings about its consumption.

The group’s finding that cholesterol in the diet need no longer be considered a “nutrient of concern” stands in contrast to the committee’s findings five years ago, the last time it convened. During those proceedings, as in previous years, the panel deemed the issue of excess cholesterol in the American diet a public health concern.

The finding follows an evolution of thinking among many nutritionists who now believe that, for healthy adults, eating foods high in cholesterol may not significantly affect the level of cholesterol in the blood or increase the risk of heart disease. The greater danger in this regard, these experts believe, lies not in products such as eggs, shrimp or lobster, which are high in cholesterol, but in too many servings of foods heavy with saturated fats, such as fatty meats, whole milk, and butter.


Here is an article I wrote many years ago about saturated fats titled:


Is it Really a FRENCH Paradox?


The “French Paradox” is simply that 55 million people in France live much longer compared to Americans and have 1/3rd the heart disease yet they do just the opposite of what the American Heart Association says is “heart friendly.” Let’s explore what the French are doing to have healthy hearts and great longevity.


The French paradox[1], coined in the late 1980s, is the apparently paradoxical epidemiological observation that French people have a relatively low incidence of coronary heart disease (CHD), while having a diet relatively rich in saturated fats. ([i])


France and the French Paradox:


The French Paradox is actually easy for doctors who practice “root-cause” medicine to explain. We know that health is not one big thing; rather, it is the constellation of little things – the removal of one risk at a time. Creating health is like a symphony warming up. At first the sounds lack coordination and harmony, but slowly, over time the beauty that is the symphony is revealed. This applies equally as well to our bodies.


A paper titled, “Dietary patterns in the French adult population,” provides a credible summary of the many health-enhancing attributes of the French lifestyle. ([ii]) Only about 13% of the French population, mostly younger people, subscribe to a SAD-like diet (Standard American Diet). Here are the attributes common to the other 87%:


· Portion control / eating slowly

· No fear of full fat

· Little reliance on processed foods

· Eat fish regularly

· Imbibe wine modestly and regularly

· Consume “healthy” fresh foods without pres